Experiences wanted: hip re-surfacing vs replacement

Posted by: on June 16th, 2010

RealSurfer Brent asks:

I have be told that i need a hip re-surfaceing or a complete hip replacement and i am wondering if anybody out there has had one of these operations and got back to surfing again and was it successfully???

Please use the comments system (see below) to leave any responses to Brent’s question.

10 Comments

1. Diccoson1 on June 16th 2010, 2:08 pm

Re the hip resurfacing two of my mates have had it done and the procedure is usually referred to as the Birmingham Procedure.It consists of machining down the ball of the hip by about 3 mm,cementing a ceramic cap on top of it, then putting a plastic socket in the hip socket.This way only the head of the femur is touched and the rest of the joint remains the same.Its used primarily when the cartilage is badly worn in the joint ,but the rest of the hip is ok. If the hip socket in the pelvis and the hip bone are damaged, or other wise weak ( like in the case of osteoporosis or fracture(s) of the bone or head ) a complete hip replacement is called for.This is a much bigger deal than resurfacing and much more prone to failure and wear

2. Brent on June 17th 2010, 7:18 am

Have your two mates been able to get back in to surfing? and how long before they could surf again?

3. Jalil Lahlou on November 5th 2012, 8:30 pm

Hi Brent, I am going to have a full hip replacement also. How are you now? Do you surf? Are you as radical the before? Please send me all your feedbacks. I am scared not to get back surfing. Thank you. Jalil from Morocco

4. TEZZA on June 20th 2010, 3:34 pm

BRENT……I have had full hip replacement by DR SOLOMON orthopedic surgeon one year ago and now surfing pain free, I recommend you go for it and don’t look back. You should be back in the water in six months+ if you do all the rehabilitation that is recommended….Take care mate every thing will be OK………..Don’t smoke any thing five weeks prior to surgery and three months+ after, smoking and bones don’t go together when healing……Surfing over thirty five years and still going strong……..

5. Brent on June 21st 2010, 7:18 am

Thanks for that …did it take 6 months to get back in the water or 6months to be able to surf like you could before the operation?

6. colt on June 22nd 2010, 12:22 am

good to see feed back, as i siad on the blower, I had a blinder recovery and did a round house cutty at 8 weeks after last birmingham but my other side took 6 months to get back to normal, don't have Michael Oms or Bill Collins number but i think they had the full job and both rip, as I said on the phone the resurface is a bigger procedure but a smaller deal!Yeah stay off the grog and smokes two weeks either side oh and a surfer, Pete Gamell gave me a tip to soldier on without the pethadine button and endone drugs…seems to help my recovery in the second one, just took pandadol forte then nothing was back in the surf in 6 weeks as opposed to 13 after using the pethadine and morph drugs…oh still do physio stuff on both hips after 10 years and still get pain if I push it in the surf….col

7. colt on June 23rd 2010, 12:09 am

oh just to cheer you up, long term use of anti inflammatories will probably damage your internals…maybe even kill you if you like a few beers…..I have diverticulitis disease that mysteriously appeared after 5 years of regular anti inflammatory use while putting off the op (celebrex, iboprofin etc.)…so get the op rather than use the drugs..just my opinion

8. Odran Lipscombe on June 23rd 2010, 2:12 am

Hi Brent,
    First complete hip replacement in 1991 and second on same left leg in 1999. After second surgeon did not want me to surf. Moved from Melb. to Cronulla NSW in 2000 and immediately took up surfing mals …I'am 64 and use weight training 2-3 a week to strenghen and improve flexibility.
    After returning from Pasta Point 2 weeks a ago I have just ordered 7'6" conventional short board…I will need every bit of ability to able to surf it even though I am slight apprehensive…
    You have had some good advice in above comments..just allow 9 nine months to gain full strengh and remember it you don't use it ..you will lose it.
    rgds
    Odran

9. steve reynolds on June 24th 2010, 8:58 am

Reno/North Avalon
    Mate I have had a full left hip replacement {cobalt prothesis},plus 2 rotator cuff repairs on both shoulders over the last seven years .I"m 68 and after the more recent rot.cuff repair about 5 weeks ago, I am offto the Metawis in October all things going well with 6
    of my lunatic mates, so deal with it pal and stay positive.
    Steve Reynolds

10. comatoes69 on October 12th 2010, 5:08 pm

Well just joined so good to read that a hip replacement isn't the end of surfing – probably the biggest fear any surfer would have ….. Hoping I avoid teh hip replacement …but good to know if reqiured that a surfing life can continue…..
    The question is at what level ? Can I keep going to G- land and ride my shortboards ?