Chilly, breezy, skies greying over and we’re waiting for swell

Posted by: on May 31st, 2017

Hello Friends,

The Bureau’s hoisted a gale warning for S-SW 20-25 kt wind early, building to peak speeds of 35 kts later in the day. Swell at daybreak was around the metre mark from the SSW with a period of 10 seconds. That swell direction means that very little energy is getting into the Dee Why stretch. The sky was clouding over from the south when I climbed aloft for the pics and the Bureau says there’s a 40% chance of showers along the coast. Tide was low at 0715 and is coming into a 1.4m high at 1320.
While there’s no real sign of swell at the moment, the Bureau tells us the swell should build from the south into the 2-3 metre range later this morning.
Tomorrow the call is still for blasting 25-30 kt southerlies and for the swell to be in the 2-3 metre range. It’s also expected to be partly cloudy.
Having some minor tech issues, so I’ll have to add pictures later this morning when things get fixed up.
In the meantime, have yourself a top old day, and yes, I’ll be keeping an eye on the ocean for that swell…

Considering the limited options at Curly 0845

Dramatic sky over north Curl Curl

Curly a bit choppy and quite weak at 0845

The point – awaiting developments with interest

A silvery sea with swell beginning to come up, DY

Lumpy, bumpy, messy, but catchable at 0900, Dee Why

The post-surf stroll back to the carpark, Dee Why

Weather Situation
A strong south to southwesterly flow established by the passage of a cold front will will ease during Thursday as a high pressure system moves over southeastern Australia strengthening a ridge to the east.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
Gale Warning for Wednesday for Sydney Coast
Winds
South to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots increasing to 25 to 30 knots in the morning. Winds reaching up to 35 knots during the day.
Seas
2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres around midday.
Swell
Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Weather
Cloudy. 90% chance of showers offshore, 60% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Caution
Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Thursday 1 June
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Sydney Coast
Winds
Southerly 25 to 30 knots.
Seas
2 to 3 metres.
Swell
Southerly 2 to 3 metres.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers offshore, 20% chance elsewhere.
Caution
Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Friday 2 June
Winds
Southerly 25 to 30 knots.
Seas
2 to 3 metres.
Swell
Southerly 2 to 2.5 metres.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers.

No Comments So Far!

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 

Page optimized by WP Minify WordPress Plugin