If you were in the right spot around 0700 this morning, you could get a waist plus set wave – but you need to be patient because the wait between rideable sets was impressive. Tide was low at 0545 and will be back to a 1.6 m high at 1210. The MHL buoy was detecting 1.3 metres of 8-sec SSE bump at 0500 and wind was coming lightly from the north.
As the day warms up to the toasty 29 high, the wind will swing to the NE and build to a summery 15-20 kts by high tide. So get in ASAP I’d say – and be patient.
Christmas eve looks like being hotter and smaller, but there seems to be some hope for a south pulse on Christmas day – although the wind’ll be southerly and it’ll be rainy… so, there is that.
As for the week ahead, well, the models are all saying there should be some bumps from the SE but it’ll be weak, short period stuff in the knee to waist range.
Have a great Saturday one and all!
A ridge of high pressure extends along the Queensland coast from a high over the Tasman Sea. East to northeast winds today ahead of a strong and gusty southerly change expected on the south and central coasts on Sunday, extending to the north coast on Monday. Another high centre is expected to move over Tasmania on Monday then to the southern Tasman Sea on Tuesday.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
- North to northwesterly early in the morning then tending northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the middle of the day.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Easterly below 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny.
Sunday 24 December
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for Sydney Coast
- North to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots shifting southeast to southwesterly 20 to 30 knots in the afternoon or evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, rising 2 to 2.5 metres in the afternoon.
- Northeasterly below 1 metre.
- Sunny morning. 60% chance of showers in the afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm inshore in the afternoon.
Monday 25 December
- South to southeasterly 15 to 25 knots tending east to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Cloudy. 60% chance of showers.