Light north breeze blowing this morning when I checked it for the first time around 0630. Skies were largely clear and waves looked to be smaller than yesterday. The MHL buoy was showing 1.7 m from the east at 10 seconds as of 0500, so there were still some head high wave faces to be encountered. Tide is dropping to a lowish 0.6 m low at 1000 and that means waves often start out soft on the take off before ending abruptly in a crunching close out. Conditions are definitely tricky at the magnets and beginners should be particularly cautious.
Wind is going to come around to NE later and as it does it’ll ramp up into the high end of the 15-25 kt range. This morning should be sunny, but by late this afternoon as we move into a couple of days of much needed rain.
We’re facing the prospect of rain, showers and SE wind through to Tuesday. Waves across the period are not looking great – mainly short period and
A high pressure system over the Tasman Sea extends a ridge to the north, generating fresh to strong north to northeasterly winds along the New South Wales coast. An approaching cold front is expected to bring a vigorous southerly change to the southern coast later Saturday, extending through to the north on Sunday and Monday.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Sydney Coast
- North to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots in the late afternoon and evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Northeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Mostly sunny morning. The chance of a thunderstorm inshore during this afternoon and early evening.
Sunday 25 February
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for Sydney Coast
- North to northwesterly 15 to 25 knots shifting southerly early in the morning then tending southeasterly in the evening. Winds reaching up to 30 knots during the morning.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- 1st Swell
- Northeasterly 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
- 2nd Swell
- Southeasterly below 1 metre, tending southerly 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Cloudy. 95% chance of showers.
Monday 26 February
- Southeasterly 15 to 25 knots.
- 1.5 to 2 metres.
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.