Another beautiful morning along the beaches. Skies are clear, winds were light and offshore at 0630 and there is a tiny south wind swell delivering the odd waist high wave face at magnet spots. Water’s around the 18C mark,. Tide was high at 0635, which probably didn’t help much, but as the pictures show, with the right equipment at the right spot, you could get one – just don’t expect to rack up a big wave count.
Wind is set to go around to the NE at 15-20 kts later this morning, so getting in early is the plan.
The MHL buoy was showing 0.9 m from the south (160-164°) at 8 seconds apart as of 0500. It should stay at those settings today. Tomorrow Huey swings the wind to the south and dials in a 60% chance of shower. As the wind ramps, the swell will follow. Some models are predicting a noticeable bump in the afternoon, but others are not so hopeful. The consensus seems to be that Sunday-Tuesday will be dominated by south wind and 1.5-2m of 8-10 sec straight south swell.
Happily, prospects for Weds-Fri are interesting. If the predictions are right, we’re looking at around 1.5 metres of longish period (13-17 sec) south swell. Wind could be offshore in the mornings too.
Have a top old Saturday one and all.
A high pressure system drifting slowly across southeast Australia is expected to be over the Tasman Sea today. This should result in a gradual return to northerly winds in most coastal areas, before the next cold front and southerly change on Sunday.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
- North to northwesterly about 10 knots tending north to northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the morning.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.
- Southerly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy.
Sunday 23 September
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for Sydney Coast
- North to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots shifting southerly 20 to 25 knots during the morning. Winds reaching up to 30 knots in the late evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Southerly below 1 metre, increasing to 1.5 metres later in the evening.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers in the evening.
Monday 24 September
- Southerly 20 to 30 knots turning southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the morning.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1.5 to 2 metres.
- 2nd Swell
- Easterly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Cloudy. 60% chance of showers.