Looks as though the overnight showers were clearing away before 0730 but the wind was hammering in from the SSE at 20-25 kts. At 0400 the MHL buoy was only seeing 1.3 metres of 5-sec SE chop. However, the Bureau’s hoisted a large and powerful surf warning for building south swell. Wind is supposed to decrease as the day goes along but my guess is that you won’t be seeing great quality anywhere today.
Tide was low at 0500 and will hit a deepish 1.78 m high at 1130.
Beachwatch reports water temp is 20C, so it’s come up a bit in the last week.
From the look of things, tomorrow morning could be the best combo for a surf (at south spots) for the front half of the coming week.
We have heavy fog and tiny waves at Santa Barbara, but there were little longboardable bumps 80km south of here in Ventura…
A cold front near the south coast is moving northwards, bringing a vigorous southerly change to the New South Wales Coast today. A high pressure system south of the Bight will gradually move across to the Tasman Sea by the end of Monday, allowing winds to ease and then shift northeasterly during Tuesday.
Forecast for Sunday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for Sydney Coast
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, tending southerly 20 to 30 knots early in the morning. Winds decreasing to 15 to 25 knots later in the morning and easing to 10 to 15 knots in the evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre by early evening.
- Southerly below 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the day.
- Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Monday 29 October
- South to southeasterly about 10 knots becoming east to northeasterly in the evening.
- Below 1 metre.
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 2 metres by early evening.
- Partly cloudy.
- Surf conditions in the morning may be more powerful than they appear and are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Tuesday 30 October
- North to northeasterly about 10 knots increasing to 15 to 25 knots during the morning.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1.5 metres during the evening.
- Mostly sunny.