Light westerly wind for the early in Sydney and there’s a call from the Bureau for the swell to perk a bit later. As of 0400 it was 1.3 metres at 11 seconds from the SSE. So, if you found waves at a magnet yesterday, I’d be looking there first, particularly if it’s later in the morning. Tomorrow could be interesting too as the swell could dial up and the wind is set to stay out of the west for the morning session…
Tide hits a 1.3 m high at about 0920. Water’s around 18C.
Missed a day or so on account of having made an impetuous trip through the LA clog to visit Trestles. Didn’t score anything too amazing, but it was fun to be in actual powerful swell with head and a bit faces. Water was around 20 and swell period was into the 16 second range. Saw some impressive surfing from the water on the second day when we surfed just below Lowers. Reminded me of being at Northy on an equivalent day in that the standard of surfing was generally very good to pro level.
Here’s a phone cam snap I took as we left the beach at Lowers. That’s the main peak as seen from the trail… (wind was into it pretty steadily by that point)
Gusty southwesterly winds are expected to affect most of the coast today in the wake of a cold front that crossed the region early this morning. The winds will generally ease by late Friday as a large high pressure system moves over New South Wales. North to northwesterly winds then develop from about Saturday onwards as the high moves over the Tasman Sea.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Sydney Coast
- Southwesterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots early in the morning. Winds turning westerly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning, then decreasing below 1 metre by early evening.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres around midday.
Friday 19 July
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots tending southwesterly in the middle of the day then tending southeast to southwesterly in the early afternoon.
- 1 to 2 metres.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres by early evening.
Saturday 20 July
- Variable below 10 knots becoming northerly 10 to 15 knots during the morning.
- Below 0.5 metres, increasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.