At daybreak it was raining lightly but steadily along the beaches. Wind was out of the west at 4 kts and the offshore buoys were seeing a metre of 10-second swell from the SE-SSE. Tide was close to the 0645 low. It’ll be back to high at 1255. The forecast tells us to expect the showers to clear as the morning goes along and for us to get to a high of 21C. The sea temp is sitting on 18C.
Pretty much as expected, waves were in the ankle to knee high range for the most part. Northy was showing little bumps, but from there south to Collaroy was flat. Over at Dee Why to Longy, the best focus appeared to be at Kiddies but if you had a long board and a keen attitude, there were ultra-tiny glassy bumps offering weak slides…
Outlook is for the surf to stay in the marginal zone into Monday. Right now the predictions are showing swell kicking into gear overnight Monday and by Tuesday it should start to build rapidly into the overhead to well overhead range. ECM is saying 3-4m on Tuesday and 4-5m Wednesday, while Wavewatch shows 2-4m Tuesday and 5+ Wednesday. Both models show 20-40kt southerly wind smashing it from day break Tuesday onward. Oh, and it should be pelting with rain too…
A high pressure system over the Tasman Sea will give way to a cold front and low pressure trough moving up the New South Wales coast over the weekend, before a low pressure system deepens off the coast at the start of next week. This low is expected to linger off the coast through the first half of next week with potential for heavy rain, strong winds and large waves along parts of the coast.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
- Northwesterly 10 to 15 knots.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore.
Sunday 12 July
- Northwesterly 10 to 15 knots becoming west to southwesterly below 10 knots in the late morning then turning east to northeasterly in the afternoon.
- Below 1 metre.
- Northeasterly below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Monday 13 July
- Variable about 10 knots becoming westerly 15 to 20 knots during the morning.
- 1 to 1.5 metres .
- Southerly around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 95% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.