Articles tagged with "Ventura"
Posted by: Don on October 31st, 2013
Posted in: Postcard.
Tags: C-street, SSW-1m-8s, Ventura.
Posted by: Don on January 8th, 2009
Sorry about running late, but it’s been a day spent driving for me.
From what I can see, it’s pretty puny in Sydney at lunch time. Just a weak little SSW wind swell of a metre or so showing on the MHL buoy. Throw in an east north-east sea breeze and I’m guessing there’s only the most marginal of offerings in the northern corners.
And the outlook as nearly as I can tell is for not much over the next few days, but gee the forecast models are looking intense for Tue-Wed next week. If the models have it right, by the time I land in Sydney next Friday morning, the swell will have faded away completely.
At least there’s a chance of my getting some waves here late on the weekend. Really keeping my fingers crossed for a little west swell action to light up the points. Today, as the picture below shows, there really wasn’t much of anything going on. We couldn’t stop for me to take a photo, but on the way back from visiting my friend in hospital (she was better again today which is just brilliant), we passed Malibu where there were about 40 people waiting around for glassy little waist high peelers. A long board out there would’ve been so fun…
Have a great day and I’ll try to send another postcard your way tomorrow if I can.
Forecast issued at 4:10 am EDT on Thursday 31 October 2013.
A weak trough brushes past the southeast this morning as a high pressure system moves south of NSW and across into the Tasman Sea by Friday afternoon. Winds tend northerly later on Friday ahead of an approaching trough arriving by the end of the weekend. This will be followed by a fresh and gusty southerly change.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots.
Below 1 metre.
Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
Friday 1 November
East to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots becoming northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the late afternoon.
Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres by early evening.
Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre.
Saturday 2 November
Northeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning northerly 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon.
1 to 1.5 metres.
Northeast to southeasterly around 1 metre.
Not much activity at C-Street, Ventura as we ran out of daylight.
Posted in: At large.
Tags: C-street, Rincon, Ventura.
Posted by: Don on January 7th, 2009
About to give the new fantastic plastic machine a run in the littleness at Rincon.
Okay, just a quick little note for your afternoon amusement. Got waves again on this side of the ocean. Best of the trip (which isn’t saying a lot). We headed south from Santa Barbara with hopes of possibly finding some little things at Rincon. Alas, it was not to be. Still too small for the place. We did however have a brief conversation with two gents sporting Greenough style spoon kneeboards. One of the blokes (see picture below) was just taking his new epoxy version out. It even has a mount point on the nose for a little waterproof camera. Kinda cool.
Lotta mal riders, but general standard of surfing was not exceptional at California Street in Ventura on this particular afternoon.
Back in the car, and back south along the old highway to check the various possibilities from Emma Wood park to the Ventura overhead. Nothin’ doin’ really. Ended up back at California Street where the swell was showing much more obviously. A couple of guys just out of the water told us that it had just started to come up. Not often you hear that! Surface conditions were sub-optimal with a light N wind kinda junking it up a bit. But as fans of onshore conditions know, the faces are still clean. Sets were pushing into the shoulder high range, and the line was quite long. I jagged a couple on my 6’8″ 7S fish. Perfect board for the conditions – although the large number of mal riders would no doubt have argued the toss. A couple waves went for a good 2-300 metres. You can really play on something like that. Out of the water on dusk and home to Santa Barbara. Had dinner at It’suki, a brilliant little Japanese place that I can recommend to anyone in SB.
Hope your day’s been a good one!
…here’s what I wrote earlier…
At around 0530 the automatic weather stations along the Sydney coastline, the southerly was rolling along at 15-20 kts. Skies are set to be overcast with a chance of the odd shower saith the Bureau.
Surf situation is looking pretty marginal, with the MHL data showing only a metre or so of 7-8 sec windswell. My guess is that the only place big enough to be rideable will also have plenty of onshore wind to go with it.
Meanwhile, on this side of the pond it’s another beautiful, mild and clear southern California winter’s day. Sadly, for the millions who like to surf, it looks as though we’ll do well to score anything much above waist high. Anyway, hope to get out and about for an explore later, so maybe have a picture for you at some point this afternoon…
Have yourself a top old day, and may my remote prognostications be utterly and completely wrong!
Posted in: At large.
Tags: pelicans, Rocky Point, Santa Barbara, Ventura.
California pelicans pick up a little free lift from the windswell coming into Mesa Lane, Santa Barbara.
Time for a brief update. Your correspondent is having a work day, so I took a break to run down and make sure there wasn’t any swell locally. And there really isn’t. Although I think there’s a lack of keeness because I reckon with a mal you could pick up a few soft ones at some of the spots I checked. We have a small fading NW swell and some weak, short period windswell. But we’re due to get a small pulse tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed… from the look of the Wetsand.com California St camera, Ventura is not as rideable today as it was yesterday arvo. Surfline.com has a camera there as well, but it is a bit annoying as you have to wait quite awhile to start and then it only runs for 30 seconds – unless you’ve subscribed. Speaking of cams, Wetsand’s Rocky Point unit is showing some fun size sets for the lucky pups battling it out at the famous Hawaiian spot.
…here’s what I wrote earlier this morning…
Just a quick hello from the other side of the world (well, for those of you in Oz!). I’ll save you a trip to the Bureau’s Sydney region forecast for today. It says:
Wind: S/SE 15/20 knots, easing to 10/15 knots during the morning, then tending NE and increasing to 20/25 knots during the afternoon. S change 20/25 knots tonight. Sea: 1 to 2 metres rising to 2.5 metres in the afternoonSwell: NE 1 to 2 metres. Possible sea fog. Chance late thunderstorm.
As of 0500, the southerly was blowing anywhere from 15 to 25 kts depending on where you’re standing along the Sydney coastline. Blergh.
Meanwhile, the MHL combined buoy traces are showing average swell heights in the 1.5 metre range and average periods of just under 8 sec. Double blergh.
And the forecast is for it to be damn warm today. Up to 34 apparently. Get out the mal or fish or whatever and escape the heat I’d say.
I’ll aim to bob up later with a few thoughts on the situation here in Cali…