Light SW wind and a high tide at 0730 combine with the slowly fading swell to deliver chest to head plus conditions at Dee Why this morning. Swell’s SE and around the two metre mark at sea with an average period of about 10 seconds. There were waves at the point and along the beach too. The banks situation doesn’t looked too flash – more shutdowns than makeable ones.
The Bureau tells us the southerly will pick up during the day and be a moderate 10-15kts this afternoon as we head toward low tide at 1415. The southerly regime looks to be in place one way or another right through to next weekend. So, morning’s will be the best shot. Swell should stay in the surfable range (figure knee to waist, with chest plus at standouts) though. We’re gradually leaving the summer doldrums behind.
Have yourself a great Sunday!
A deep low pressure system lies over the southwestern Tasman Sea and is expected to move further east and weaken today as a high pressure system moves south of the Bight extending a ridge to New South Wales north coast. Winds are expected to gradually turn southeasterly during Monday and Tuesday as the coastal ridge strengthens.
Forecast for Sunday until midnight
- Southerly about 10 knots increasing to 10 to 15 knots in the early afternoon.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm during this afternoon and evening.
Monday 2 February
- Southerly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 25 knots inshore in the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
- South to southeasterly 1 to 2 metres, tending east to southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore in the afternoon and evening.
Tuesday 3 February
- Southerly 15 to 20 knots becoming variable about 10 knots during the day.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, tending southerly 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.