Another morning with heaps of south swell spot surf options. Yesterday was pretty good in the late morning with the swell coming from 166° at 1.4 m at 9 sec, but now it’s dead south at 180° and 2.6 metres at 11 seconds after peaking overnight at 4.4 metres. It should drop steadily across the day. That said, there are definitely a few shoulder to head high sets happening at the best exposures.
Winds were WSW 12-19 kts as of 0900 and tide was coming in to the modest high at 1115.
Tomorrow looks like something of a rest day as the current swell fades out and we wait for the next south pulse to arrive around dusk. And then it looks like another run of surfable conditions from Tue through Thr. (Weds in particular is looking interesting with an expected influx of very long period energy being predicted by the models).
A cold front is crossing the eastern parts of the state today, with strong to gale force southwesterly winds in the wake. Winds should abate from Sunday as a high pressure system over the Bight gradually moves over the state early next week, though strong winds may persist about the far south.
Forecast for Sunday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for Sydney Coast
- South to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots offshore early in the morning. Winds decreasing to 15 to 25 knots in the morning then tending westerly in the afternoon.
- 2.5 to 4 metres, decreasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Southerly 2.5 to 4 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning.
- Cloud clearing.
- Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Monday 17 May
- West to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots turning southerly 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon.
- 1.5 to 2 metres.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Partly cloudy.
Tuesday 18 May
- Southwesterly 10 to 15 knots becoming variable around 10 knots during the day.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly 2 to 2.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy.