A rainy start to the new week and the very small surf conditions continue too. Putting some numbers on it, as of 0745 the S-SSE swell was a metre at 9 seconds (with some 13-sec component to add interest). The air was calm, so surface conditions were glassy. Tide was bottoming out at 0.6 m as of 0740. It’s not going to change much because the high at 1330 is just 1.2 m.
Outlook is for the little stuff and showery weather to continue through to the end of the week. Some of the long range models are showing a change to SE conditions for early next week. They show the swell building into the 2+ metre range from the SE, which would be great if they weren’t also predicting blasting SE wind with it.
Go well with your Monday!
Northerly winds this morning ahead of a trough, which will bring a southerly change to the southern waters during this afternoon and evening. A low pressure system will form well offshore within this trough tonight and move away during Tuesday and Wednesday. After this, northerly winds will shift westerly and then southerly mid-week as a trough and cold front cross the region.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
- Northerly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots offshore during the morning and early afternoon. Winds turning west to northwesterly during the afternoon and evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southerly 1.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm this evening.
Tuesday 28 March
- Variable about 10 knots becoming northerly 10 to 15 knots in the early afternoon then tending northwesterly in the evening.
- Below 1 metre.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres around midday.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Wednesday 29 March
- North to northwesterly 15 to 20 knots turning westerly during the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon or evening.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1 to 2 metres, tending southeasterly below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- 2nd Swell
- Northeasterly below 0.5 metres, tending southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 90% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.