A cool and steady 5-10 kt SSW breeze when I climbed aloft for the morning pictures. Skies were sunny but hazy. But we’re still waiting for swell. The MHL data from 0600 this morning was showing 1.6 metres of 7-second wind bump from the S-SSE (168-172°). Tide is running into a 1.6m high.
The wind should peak from the south at 15-20 kts this morning before decreasing and drifting around to the easterly quarters in the afternoon. But there’s no expectation of an improvement to the waves, indeed, it looks as though it might even get smaller over the day. And right now things aren’t looking too special through Saturday. Some models show swell heights perking up on Sunday and Monday, so here’s hoping…
Have a great Thursday one and all!
A stationary high pressure system near New Zealand extends a ridge towards the northern New South Wales coast, while a trough has brought a southerly change to southern and central parts. This trough is expected to stall and decay on the Macquarie Coast during today, with northerly winds again extending along the entire coast on Friday as the Tasman high becomes dominant. The next cold front looks set to bring a southerly change during Saturday and early Sunday.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- Southerly 15 to 20 knots, becoming east to southeasterly 10 to 15 10 knots in the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Northeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Partly cloudy.
Friday 14 September
- Variable about 10 knots becoming northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the early afternoon then tending northerly in the late evening. Winds reaching up to 25 knots offshore in the late evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres by early evening.
- Northeasterly below 1 metre.
- Cloud clearing.
Saturday 15 September
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots shifting southwesterly 20 to 30 knots during the late afternoon or evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- 1st Swell
- Northeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- 2nd Swell
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres during the evening.
- Partly cloudy.