Another beautiful winter morning for Sydney – and waves to boot. Swell’s gone pretty straight south, but it’s 1.2 metres at sea and close to 12 seconds apart. Wind was WNW 7-10 kts when I checked at 0840. Tide’s low as I write this and is back to high at about 1510. Water’s clean and 19C – still.
Should be a few waist to maybe chest and a bit wave faces to be had at your fave south magnet. Swell’s set to decline steadily toward flatness at the end of the work week.
Wavewatch model says a south pulse could light up the joint on Saturday, but the ECM says naw, it’ll be tiny. Wavewatch shows a second, bigger south pulse (3m range) overnight Sunday into Monday, but fading quick to small for Tuesday. ECM says pulse is smaller and hits Monday late and fades late Tuesday…
Meanwhile we have a straight south pulse (likely from a hurricane off Mexico) just making it up to the surf zones immediately north from Ventura. A mate and I got some longboardable little waist-ish slides at a fickle spot called Hobson’s, pix below…
A ridge of high pressure has become dominant over the coast. On Thursday, west to northwesterly winds will strengthen ahead of a cold front. Later on Friday and during Saturday strong southwesterly winds are forecast to extend along the New South Wales coast after the passage of another cold front.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Westerly 10 to 15 knots turning northwesterly 15 to 20 knots in the late morning and afternoon.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1.5 metres offshore later in the evening.
- Southerly 1.5 metres.
Thursday 11 July
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Sydney Coast
- Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots during the morning and early afternoon. Winds tending westerly in the middle of the day.
- 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Mostly sunny.
Friday 12 July
- Northwesterly 15 to 25 knots increasing to 20 to 30 knots during the morning.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southerly below 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny.
POSTCARDS FROM CALI