At 0500 the MHL buoy was showing a metre of E swell with a period of 11 seconds. So we have about the same energy levels as yesterday at the same time, but the swell’s not coming from the SE. Wind at report time was light and west; it’s set to go north to NE by this afternoon. The morning tide is a high at 0830.
A run around the check out spots revealed healthy crowds in the water at Northy and from Longy to No Mans. Set waves were into the shoulder plus range, although overall I’d call it waist to chest. If you’re keen and patient with your fellow surfers, you should definitely be able to snag a few this morning.
Outlook is very much in line with the Goat’s prediction – according to the models. Wind is set to be northerly through Monday at this stage, while swell should be about the same tomorrow and then up a bit more on Monday. Swell looks like being southerly across the coming week and bit bigger. Magnets could be into the head range on bombs by late in the week. And if the models have it right, we should also be seeing offshores.
Micro at Gardens
Northy crew on it on a Sat morning 0650
Makaha peaks unattended
Kiddies serving up the odd moment of diversion
Classic winter inversion layer trapping all our pollution nicely this morning
Very busy at Longy at 0710
Out for a paddle with friends at Whiterock
man at no mans
Weather Situation A high pressure ridge over the coast is weakening while a low pressure system is deepening in the Bight. Winds along coastal waters will shift more northerly and gradually strengthen during Saturday and Sunday as a trough and associated cold front approach from the west. This system is expected to bring a gusty westerly wind change as it crosses the coast during Monday, reinforced by the passage of a second cold front on Tuesday. Forecast for Saturday until midnight Winds North to northeast about 10 knots increasing to 10 to 15 knots in the early afternoon. Seas Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre by early evening. Swell Easterly around 1 metre. Weather Partly cloudy. Sunday 8 May Winds Northerly 15 to 20 knots. Seas 1 to 2 metres. Swell Easterly around 1 metre. Weather Cloudy. 40% chance of rain. Monday 9 May Winds Northerly 15 to 25 knots turning northwesterly 20 to 30 knots during the evening. Seas 1.5 to 2.5 metres. Swell Easterly around 1 metre. Weather Cloudy. 60% chance of rain.
Gotta be keen this morning. Waves were really tiny at Northy, Longy and Dee Why, but there were folks amongst ’em as the sun came over the horizon. Set wave faces were struggling to make the waist high mark, so you really wanted your floatiest wave tool. Although the MHL buoy was reporting 11-second period, the east swell was less than a metre out at sea. Tide was high at 0600 and will be back to low at 1240. We’re in for another 30 degree day and while the wind was lightly NW at 0720, it will swing north and then NE as it builds to a summery 10-15 kts later this afternoon. Swell isn’t expected to change much across the day. Nor, is it likely to improve much across the coming week according to the models. So enjoy what we have, the autumnal quality can’t be far off now… Here’s a little video minute thingee…
Nothing special, but definitely a few waist high bumps and lumps around the place this morning as the swell fades away and the tide drops. Big issue, apart from the declining swell energy, is the wind which the Bureau tells us will be onshore before long first from the east then SE then NE. It’s not expected to go too hard though (10-15 kts) so there may be something scrappy for you later if you weren’t able to hit it this morning.
From Dee Why to Longy and around to Northy it looked like the most interesting potential was from about the pole north on the former stretch and from Marquesas to Northy on the latter.
Should be a mostly sunny day and our next tide will be the low at 1100.
Outlook for tomorrow is smaller again with your best shot being the early for something in the knee plus range at spots that like SE wind swell.
Another south change is expected Monday morning, so that’ll push the swell back up, but surf options are looking minimal with all the wind. Tuesday is currently shaping as our best hope for something decent in the morning. Figure shoulder to head high at south magnet spots.
Have a great Saturday everyone and keep on smilin’!
Before 0700 it was clean and catchable
Sorta something, but unspectacular
SUPing about at s. Narra
Pulling into a quick pocket up the beach
A high pressure system centred just to the east of Tasmania extends across New South Wales, and will remain slow moving during the weekend. A cold front will move past to the south of the state on Sunday, with an associated trough and southerly change reaching the far south coast on Sunday evening, then extending along New South Wales coastal waters during Sunday night and Monday. The change will be short lived, with another high pressure system in the Tasman shifting winds over coastal waters back to northeasterly by Wednesday.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
East to southeasterly about 10 knots tending east to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the evening.
Around 1 metre.
Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
Sunday 19 October
Northerly 10 to 15 knots, tending north to northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the morning.
Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.
Southeasterly around 1 metre.
Monday 20 October
Northerly 15 to 20 knots shifting southerly 15 to 25 knots during the morning then tending southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the day.
1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
Weent out around midday with camera and board. First stop was Northy, but the crew up there were having a contest on the main peak, so I watched a few, grabbed a snap and went looking elsewhere. Bellyboarder-extraordinare Frank had tipped Curly for a possible picture taking opportunity, so I wandered that way. Sure enough, there were little waves, in fact there were a few into the head high range for the steadily increasing crowd. Quite a few peaks were on offer so it p[robably didn’t feel too frantic in the water.
I hung around and shot for a good hour. It seemed to lull at that point and I had other promises to keep, so I jetted and left the fun to the weekend warriors to enjoy.
I’ll have a fresh gallery of shots from the sesh up tomorrow.
The NE swell that lit things up yesterday was on the fade this morning. But it wasn’t gone and Northy the patient crew were still jagging a few sweet ones on a sunny, offshore start to the day. I shot for an hour or so…
As usual all images are available in various resolutions (without the watermark). Just double-click on the pic(s) you’re interested in and then look for the link that says ‘add to cart’ to see your resolution/price options.
Northy was picking up the east swell Thursday morning. Got there maybe an hour before the wind started taking it apart. Quite crowded but I stuck around because my mate the legendary Tom Kirsop was out in the lineup and I wanted to see if I could get a pic of him. Being 80 and on the other side of a couple hip operations, he takes his time picking ’em. In the end I got a few of shots of him – plus about a hundred of everybody else who was in the water between about 0900 and 1000. I reckon if you got a right, I got a shot! Check ’em out…
North Narrabeen 8 April 2010 (am) – Images by Don Norris All pictures for sale at very reasonable prices! Just click on the image you want and you will be taken to the gallery site where you’ll find an “Add to cart” option top left. Click that and you can buy and immediately download the picture.
In due course it turned pretty sideshore, so I pulled up stakes and headed for the desk to get some magazine work knocked over.
By the way, here’s a shot of Tom on one of the bomb sets…
Went shooting this morning and here are the results. The original pics are very high resolution so it is quite possible to get a clean looking pic out of a very small area in the image. Exposure kinda went off the rails, but it’s easily corrected if need be.