Archive for May 2017

swell lighting up north end

Posted on May 31st, 2017 in Manly.

Swell stacking into the Queensie end of the beach and looking very tasty
indeed for the healthy crowd




Chilly, breezy, skies greying over and we’re waiting for swell

Posted on May 31st, 2017 in Dee Why.

Hello Friends,

The Bureau’s hoisted a gale warning for S-SW 20-25 kt wind early, building to peak speeds of 35 kts later in the day. Swell at daybreak was around the metre mark from the SSW with a period of 10 seconds. That swell direction means that very little energy is getting into the Dee Why stretch. The sky was clouding over from the south when I climbed aloft for the pics and the Bureau says there’s a 40% chance of showers along the coast. Tide was low at 0715 and is coming into a 1.4m high at 1320.
While there’s no real sign of swell at the moment, the Bureau tells us the swell should build from the south into the 2-3 metre range later this morning.
Tomorrow the call is still for blasting 25-30 kt southerlies and for the swell to be in the 2-3 metre range. It’s also expected to be partly cloudy.
Having some minor tech issues, so I’ll have to add pictures later this morning when things get fixed up.
In the meantime, have yourself a top old day, and yes, I’ll be keeping an eye on the ocean for that swell…

Considering the limited options at Curly 0845

Dramatic sky over north Curl Curl

Curly a bit choppy and quite weak at 0845

The point – awaiting developments with interest

A silvery sea with swell beginning to come up, DY

Lumpy, bumpy, messy, but catchable at 0900, Dee Why

The post-surf stroll back to the carpark, Dee Why

Weather Situation
A strong south to southwesterly flow established by the passage of a cold front will will ease during Thursday as a high pressure system moves over southeastern Australia strengthening a ridge to the east.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
Gale Warning for Wednesday for Sydney Coast
Winds
South to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots increasing to 25 to 30 knots in the morning. Winds reaching up to 35 knots during the day.
Seas
2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres around midday.
Swell
Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Weather
Cloudy. 90% chance of showers offshore, 60% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Caution
Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Thursday 1 June
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Sydney Coast
Winds
Southerly 25 to 30 knots.
Seas
2 to 3 metres.
Swell
Southerly 2 to 3 metres.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers offshore, 20% chance elsewhere.
Caution
Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Friday 2 June
Winds
Southerly 25 to 30 knots.
Seas
2 to 3 metres.
Swell
Southerly 2 to 2.5 metres.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers.


A non beach pic

Posted on May 30th, 2017 in Surf Reports.

Just doing some testing!


Surf report

Posted on May 30th, 2017 in Surf Reports.

Trying hard 1m or less with occasional little pulse at places open to dead
South swell…



Remember yesterday?

Posted on May 30th, 2017 in Dee Why.

Hello Friends,

Chilly start again this morning under mostly clear skies. As the pictures show, there’s nothing of interest happening at Dee Why on the surf front. Wind was out of the WSW at 10-15 kts as of 0730 and it should stay that way according to the Bureau. Tide was low at 0615 and is running back in to the 1.4m high at 1220. Earlier this morning the MHL buoy was registering a touch under a metre of 9-sec SE swell. That means the energy levels are down from the similar size 12 sec period stuff yesterday.
MHL’s modelling is showing conditions staying much the same all day, but come tomorrow it’s all change as the wind ramps up into the 15-20 kt range from SW while the swell builds steadily during the morning. By tomorrow afternoon south spots could be seeing 3-4 metres of swell. The pulse peaks over the following 24 hours but the wind is set to go southerly 20-30kts on Thursday. The NOAA based models show the swell dropping only a bit on Friday and then possibly pulsing up again on Saturday while the wind stays around the 12 kt mark from the SW. If the modelling is correct, we should have waves at south spots into early next week.
Enjoy your Tuesday and get ready for waves tomorrow!

Faint signs only

Dee Why approaching utter flatness at 0715

Weather Situation
A south to southwesterly flow along the New South Wales coast will tend briefly west to northwesterly today ahead of a strong south to southwesterly change associated with a cold front developing on the south coast in the afternoon. The change will extend to Sydney Waters overnight and to the far north coast early Wednesday. Southerly winds will ease from late Thursday as a high pressure system moves over southeastern Australia strengthening a ridge to the east.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
Winds
West to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning southwesterly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
Seas
Around 1 metre.
Swell
Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre around midday.
Weather
Sunny.
Wednesday 31 May
Strong Wind Warning for Wednesday for Sydney Coast
Winds
Southwesterly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 30 knots during the day. Winds turning southerly 20 to 25 knots in the afternoon.
Seas
1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Swell
Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning, then increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon.
Weather
Cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore.
Thursday 1 June
Winds
Southerly 20 to 30 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the evening.
Seas
2 to 3 metres.
Swell
Southerly 3 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2.5 to 3 metres during the morning.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers.


Surf report

Posted on May 29th, 2017 in Surf Reports.

Beautiful day…max 18..slowly warming from 13 (8 apparent), cool west
wind, and small to flat surf…1 metre or less. No whales son the horizon
yet.

Mighg be a little wave for a paddle pushing in at some places as the tide
comes in.


Sunday morning 28 May at Curly: a gallery

Posted on May 29th, 2017 in Curl Curl.

Yesterday morning when I checked Curly I spotted a small group of people catching cute little shories right on the sand, so I grabbed a few pics to share. Here’s a sample…

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000

South Curly shories sesh Sun morning 1000


Quiet Monday at Dee Why

Posted on May 29th, 2017 in Dee Why.

Hello Friends,

Chilly under sunny skies with a light westerly fanning microscopic lines at Dee Why as Monday got started. The MHL buoy is showing less than a metre of 12-sec east swell for the early. Tide was low at 0515 and is now heading to the 1.48 m high at 1120.
The marine forecast is predicting a little bump up in swell height later, but the MHL forecast model is unmoved and is currently saying tomorrow will probably be a lot like today.
The models are generally pointing to a increase into the 2-3 metre range from the south from as early as Wednesday afternoon. The wind predictions are for brisk SSW with the pulse, so there should be a few surf options about.
We shall see!
Apologies by the way to our forum users as I am still struggling with a creaky database update… hope to have some movement at the station later today…
Go well!

No surf for you today Dee Why

Weather Situation
A cold front over the Tasman Sea is moving east and trailing a trough to the far north coast this morning resulting in northwesterly winds in the north tending fresh to strong southwesterly in the south. A high pressure ridge will build over the Waters in the wake of the front later today, with winds tending south to southwesterly throughout and easing. Another cold front is expected to reach the southern half of the coast later Tuesday, extending to northern parts Wednesday, bringing strengthening south to southwesterly winds.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Monday for Sydney Coast
Winds
West to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots offshore during the morning. Winds decreasing to 10 to 15 knots in the late afternoon.
Seas
2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
Swell
Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres by early evening.
Weather
Sunny.
Tuesday 30 May
Winds
Westerly 10 to 15 knots tending northwesterly in the morning then turning west to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
Seas
Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
Swell
Southerly 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
Weather
Sunny day. 30% chance of a shower in the evening.
Wednesday 31 May
Winds
Southwesterly 15 to 20 knots tending southerly 25 to 30 knots during the morning.
Seas
1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Swell
Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Weather
Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers


Forums News – upgrade works continue

Posted on May 28th, 2017 in Top stories.

This is worse than the Pacific Highway south of Kempsey…
Worked on the forum update and repair process until late Sunday, but still have a way to go.
Moving the ETA for return of forums to (I hope!!) Monday afternoon 29 May 2017.


Surf report

Posted on May 28th, 2017 in Surf Reports.

Was ok earlier…at right tide


 

Page optimized by WP Minify WordPress Plugin