Went for a stroll around the lagoon and along the beach this morning and had the camera along, so grabbed a couple snaps of the activity. It wasn’t flat and the wind was relatively light from the north. The 1.3 metre swell was coming from the E-ESE at 10 seconds apart. There was a bit of a wait for the waist-and-a-bit sets and the main energy seemed to be hitting from about the lagoon entrance south. Tide was coming into the modest 1.4 m high at 1155. It looked like a good day to have your mal or nearest equivalent as the waves were generally slow and weak looking. Skies were greying over and the Bureau tells us we can expect a spot of rain later.
Not sure if we’ll hear from the Goat today, so my quick take is that we should enjoy surfable mornings through the weekend. Nothing amazing in prospect, but it supposed to be sunny and the wind should play nice for the morning sessions.
A high pressure system over the southern Tasman Sea extends a ridge into northeast New South Wales whilst a cold front approaches from the west, directing light to moderate east to northeasterly winds along the northern coast and fresh to strong north to northeasterly winds along the southern coast. The front will cross the New South Wales coast between late Thursday and early Friday, and winds will turn west to southwesterly in the wake.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots tending northwesterly in the evening. Winds reaching up to 25 knots offshore in the late morning and again in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres offshore.
- East to southeasterly around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore in the afternoon and evening.
Friday 9 June
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 25 knots offshore in the evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1 to 2 metres by early evening.
- Easterly around 1 metre.
Saturday 10 June
- West to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots tending south to southwesterly below 10 knots during the morning.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- South to southwesterly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy.